The usual Friday’s “secret” is being preempted by a new type of post for Shannan Enjoys Life. Today, I’m excited to be linking up with Leigh Kramer who does these wonderful round-ups called What I’m Into of what she’s into for the month. I found her through one of my absolute favorite haunts on the web, Modern Mrs. Darcy and her monthly What I’m Into posts. The idea to create this kind of post once a month appealed to me because it will help me be more mindful of what I’m doing throughout the month.
So here’s my first of what I hope to be many What I’m Into That’s Keeping Me Sane posts. October has been a particularly busy month for me.
- My kid, who we’ve kind nicknamed The Buddy Man, turned a year-old this month. I can’t believe it’s been a year all ready! As Gretchen Rubin says, “The days are long, but the years are short.”
- Gave a presentation at a health and wellness retreat in Orangeburg, SC (Ugh, public speaking, as shivers run down my spine). Learned some things though and will write about them soon.
- Ran my first 5K race since Buddy Man’s arrival. Trained with my friend, Mel, and it was great to spend time with someone who’s becoming as addicted to running as I am. Oh, it feels so good to be back out there running regularly again – definitely keeping me sane! Posted about the race here.
- Being a vegetarian, you wouldn’t think that there would be anything for me to eat at Longhorn Steakhouse but you would be wrong! The sides are amazing and my family and I had the greatest waiter at the Statesboro, GA location, a young man who was so pleasant that it was refreshing. I aspire to that level of pleasantness; an aspiration that I, sadly, will never attain in this lifetime.
- Reconnected with my love of writing letters thanks to the Love Notes project. Thank you, Jennifer, for creating such a wonderful project. I’m so looking forward to the next round in January. Previous post about this here.
- Facebook and Instagram. Yes. Facebook and Instagram are keeping me sane. I am in the process of weeding out negativity from my feed and following only inspirational and positive people. It’s working.
- The Challenges with my friends have helped me get more steps this month than I have gotten in a long time. Thanks so much Grandma, Mommy, Alicia, Joy, and Nicole!
- Read a number of books this month; you’ll have to wait for my first Quick Lit post to find out what – hint, it was heavy on the self-help shelf. I’m going to be reading some lighter fare for November – to stay sane.
- Listening to The Lively Show and Happier podcasts. Jess Lively interviewed Elizabeth Gilbert this month, one of my new favorite writers of all time. Speaking of Gilbert, I’m sad that Magic Lessons is done for the season. But I’m enjoying Gretchen Rubin’s Happier podcast series right now on the Four Tendencies. Obligers, where are you? She should be covering our tendency next week.
- The fall shows are back and my DVR is working overtime. Have to mention three of my personal favorites though: (1) Survivor – it so interesting to watch the dynamics between people and observe each one’s level of self-awareness and how it plays out in the game. (2) The Amazing Race – I have watched every season of this show! Love it! (3) The Big Bang – same thing here. On a certain level, I can relate to those nerds and, of course, laughter is the best medicine!
What have you been up to this month to…